THE SICK MAN
A man fell ill, and the doctor was sent for. The doctor came, and when he found out what the matter was he asked for pen, ink and paper, so that he might write a prescription. But there were no such things in the house; so the man's wife went out to borrow them from somebody. She did not come back a long time and the doctor grew tired of waiting. He took a piece of coal and the prescription was written with it on the door. Then he went away. The thing was that nobody in the house could read or write Latin. So the door was taken off its hinges, carried to the chemist's shop and in this way the medicine was got.
1. Why was the doctor sent for?
2. What did the doctor ask for?
3. Why did he ask for a pen, ink and paper?
4. Why did the man's wife go out to her neighbours?
5. Who didn't come back a long time?
6. Did the doctor like it?
7. Could the doctor wait for the man's wife?
8. Did he write the prescription?
9. How did the doctor write the prescription?
10. Who could read in the house?
11. Why was the door taken off its hinges?
12. Was the medicine got?