A BROKEN VASE
A young man who lived in London was in love with a beautiful girl. Soon she became his fiancée. The man was very poor but the girl was rich. The young man wanted to make her a present on her birthday. He wanted to buy something beautiful for her, but he had no idea how to do it, as he had very little money. The next morning he went to a shop. There were many fine things there: rings, gold watches, diamonds - but all these things were, too expensive. There was one thing he could not take his eyes off. It was a beautiful vase. That was a suitable present for his fiancée. He had been looking at the vase for half an hour when the manager of the shop noticed him. The young man looked so pale, sad and unhappy that the manager asked what had happened to him.
The young man told him everything. The manager felt sorry for him and decided to help him. A brilliant idea struck him. The manager pointed to the corner of the shop. To his great surprise the young man saw a vase broken into many pieces. The manager said: "I can help you. I shall order my servant to pack it and take it to your fiancée. When he enters the room, he will drop it."
On the birthday of his fiancée the young man was very excited.
Everything happened as had been planned. The servant brought in the vase, and as he entered the room, he dropped it. There was horror on everybody's face. When the vase was unpacked the guests saw that each piece was packed separately.
1. Who was in love with a beautiful girl?
2. Was the boy rich?
3. What did the boy want to buy for the girl on her birthday?
4. Why couldn't he buy the thing he wanted?
5. What things were on sale?
6. Why did the boy look pale, sad and unhappy?
7. Whom did the young man tell everything?
8. What was there in the corner of the shop?
9. What was the manager's idea?
10. Did the servant bring the vase to the girl?
11. Why was there horror on everybody's face?
12. What surprised everybody?